Friday, January 15, 2010

DeMarco a Stern Challenge to Edwin Valero


Antonio DeMarco believes he has what it takes to upend Edwin Valero when the two meet next month in Monterrey, Mexico.

Interim WBC lightweight titlist Antonio DeMarco appears to be one of the strongest opponents that WBC belt-holder Edwin Valero will have faced in his career.

Having just turned 24 last week, DeMarco is by far the youngest opponent that the undefeated knockout sensation has faced in years. Aside from that, DeMarco is the taller man and like Valero he is also a southpaw.

“I’m looking forward to the fight and I’m looking forward to winning,” DeMarco says. “Everyone makes Valero out to be a monster…but when we get up in the ring he has two arms and two legs just like everyone else that I’ve ever fought.”

DeMarco is on an impressive run of wins in his own right and with a record of 23-1-1, 17 KOs he feels his time is now.

“We’ve seen Valero and we’ve seen some things in him that we think we can take advantage of,” said DeMarco. “He makes mistakes just like everyone else and my job will be to make the most of those mistakes. When the time comes, when the fight comes, we‘ll have a complete strategy all mapped out for him.”

The two fighters will square off Feb. 6 in DeMarco’s home country in Monterrey, Mexico and Valero, from Venezuela, will be attempting to extend his perfect mark of 26-0, 26 KOs. Demarco is a native of Los Mochis and is currently training in Tijuana.


Valero (right) is a brutal puncher. So far, not one fighter has lasted the distance against him.

“This is a dream fight for me,” said DeMarco. “I couldn’t have asked for anything more and it’s even better that I get to fight him in my country. I feel like the uncrowned champion, so this will be my chance to get the crown, my rightful crown.”

Demarco is one the best young fighters in the sport and he will have his work cut out for him when he steps in the ring against Valero who has 19 first-round knockouts - and no opponent has lasted more than ten rounds with him.

“It will be tough, but I am prepared and I will be ready on February the sixth,” said DeMarco who is promoted by Gary Shaw. “What I’m doing today, right now and everyday is focusing on what I can do to become the best I can be. God willing, in only three more weeks, I will be the winner and my dream will have come true.”


January 2010

No comments: