Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Devon Alexander Open to All Challenges


Newly minted WBC super lightweight titlist Devon Alexander has worn his championship belt for less than a two weeks, but he has immediately dropped the gauntlet and is sending a message that he will fight anyone that is willing to step forward.

“I'll fight anybody,” said the 22-year-old Alexander. “This is boxing and that's the way it's supposed to be, you know what I mean? The whole idea is to fight the best and I'm definitely looking to fight the best.”

Undefeated at 19-0, 12 KOs, Alexander shares the championship mantle in the red-hot 140-pound division with Timothy Bradley (WBO), Amir Khan (WBA) and Juan Urango (IBF). There are a host of big fights that have the potential to be made and it's a fact not lost on the man who goes by the nickname “Alexander the Great”.

“I mean, I know that everybody out there is going to be trying their best to come after me now,” he admits. “But me and my team, we're just going to take it as it comes and take it one step at a time. We'll see what my trainer [Kevin Cunningham] and my promoter [Don King] have to say about it all. But really – anybody – I'll fight anybody.”

A proud St. Louis native, Alexander was honored by the mayor last Thursday at City Hall for his convincing title win over England's Junior Witter. Alexander often wears caps and jerseys of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team and he claims he will use his championship status as a platform to benefit the people of his hometown.

“I'm going to work even harder now that I've got the belt,” he says. “I know a lot of distractions can come my way now, but I'm a strong person with a strong mind and I feel that my destiny is to be one of the greats. I want to do a lot of work in the community and try to inspire people and let them know that they can do whatever they want to do in life. If I can do it, so can they.”

Alexander was overcome with emotion immediately after his title winning effort against Witter and now that the reality of his accomplishment has sunk in he is looking ahead to what could be a future full of possibilities. “My trainer never gave up on me and God never gave up on me,” said Alexander. “I've got the green belt now, so we'll look forward now.”

Sources within the Alexander camp claim they would like to have a homecoming title defense in the fall. The rumor mill is in full-grist on the opponent, but Nate Campbell is the name being brought up most often since he is also promoted by King. A part of that card could include a championship doubleheader featuring IBF 154-pound titlist Cory Spinks who also hails from St. Louis and shares the same trainer and promoter as Alexander. The card would be a natural for the Scottrade Center where Spinks and Alexander have both appeared in the past.


August 2009

No comments: