Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Jean Pascal Ready for All-Montreal Showdown


Jean Pascal is of the opinion that this Friday night in Montreal will be his night.

Challenger Jean Pascal says he is more than ready to take on WBC 175-pound titlist Adrian Diaconu at Montreal's Bell Centre on Friday night.

It will be one of the biggest fights to have ever been contested on Canadian soil and the arena is sure to be sold out when the two fighters, who both call Montreal home, clash for the title.

The 26-year-old Pascal, who was born in Haiti, is pumped for the fight in his hometown and he is outspoken about what he is going to do when the bell rings against Diaconu who was born in Romania.

“For me, fighting is a business and some of it is show business to be honest with you,” explained the vocal Pascal who spoke with BoxingScene on Tuesday. “Montreal is my city, my town. I'm the boss here and I'm going to show all my fans why I am the boss of this place.

“I think I'm stronger at light heavyweight than I was at 168,” said Pascal who has a record of 22-1, 15 KOs. Pascal's only loss came last year at the hands of Carl Froch in a super middleweight title fight.

“I'm not going to have to dry myself out, I can eat what I want,” he said. “It'll make me stronger so I can go to war and so I can bang away. Don't you worry about me, I'll have lots of energy to knock this guy out. You'll see.”


Diaconu wears the WBC light heavyweight belt. He also calls Montreal home and is an undefeated fighter.

Many are questioning whether Pascal, who is stepping up from 168 pounds, is ready to make the adjustment to the new weight division against the undefeated Diaconu who has a record of 26-0, 15KOs. Diaconu has waged most of his career at light heavyweight and he scaled 186 pounds in his most recent bout.

“Look, I've already fought at 175 earlier in my career,” answered Pascal when asked whether fighting the bigger man was a concern. “I've fought up that high a while ago and because I'm a true fighter it doesn't matter. It's not that much of a weight difference. I feel like I'm one of the elite fighters in the world and I'll show you that on Friday.”

Pascal also took a moment to send some criticism Diaconu's way and essentially called him a paper champion.

“He didn't fight Chad Dawson to get the WBC belt he has,” said Pascal. “He fought to become the mandatory and then they gave him the belt because he won the mandatory fight.” (against Chris Henry) “He didn't fight the real champion to get the belt.”

Pascal also claimed that when he was still an amateur fighter on his way up and Diaconu was a professional that they sparred. Pascal says he told everyone about it and that he got the best of the man he will fight on Friday night.

“He says he doesn't remember what happened,” says Pascal. “I'll tell you what happened – I kicked his butt – that's what happened that day. He probably does want to forget about it.”


June 2009

No comments: