Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Hawaiian Punch Wants to Unify


Last month in Manila, Brian Viloria (right) won another world title with an electrifying one punch knockout over long reigning titlist Ulises Solis.

Brian “The Hawaiian Punch” Viloria is hanging ten and riding a tidal wave of popularity since he knocked out Ulises Solis last month in Manila, Philippines to win the IBF junior flyweight title.

Viloria, who will likely return to the ring on August 22 in San Francisco, is still basking in the glow of his big win in his parent's native country.

“It was awesome, it was an amazing experience,” he says. “I had a great time and winning a world title there was a big honor for me. It was one of those things in my career I can look back to and enjoy and just have a blast. The people there are so nice. The fight was an awesome fight. It was a great fight and winning it was just a great plus.”

Viloria scored an 11th round knockout win over Solis who had held the belt for nearly four years and was favored to win going into the bout. It was an action packed fight with plenty off ebbs and flows, but in the end Viloria's power proved to be the great equalizer.

Viloria is now back in Hawaii after having spent some time in Las Vegas to see the Manny Pacquiao vs. Ricky Hatton fight. Viloria has been relaxing and enjoying himself.


Jesus Salud, the original "Hawaiian Punch" and Viloria pictured together at a parade in 2001.

“I'm going to rest up for a little bit. I had a really busy year last year with five fights leading up to the world championship. I'm just hanging out for a little bit. When I get back from Hawaii I'll begin training for my next fight.”

It's not clear who Viloria will fight next. However, he will be fighting along with fellow Filipino, Nonito Donaire, on a card at AT&T Park which is the home of the San Francisco Giants baseball team. Viloria says he would eventually like to get a unification fight with Puerto Rico's Ivan Calderon.

“Hopefully I'll be able to fight Ivan Calderon,” says the 28 year-old Viloria who has a record of 25-2, 15 knockouts and was a member of the 2000 U.S. Olympic team. “I'd like to hopefully get a couple more unification matches if I end up being successful against Calderon and then I can go from there.

“I'd like to win some more world titles. I want to have fun in the sport and maybe I can get my name on the pound-for-pound lists. I love to train and get in the ring. I'd like to get my name in the history books.”


May 2009

No comments: