Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Kendall Holt: "I Don't Back Down, I Lay Backs Down"


Kendall Holt claims he can't wait to meet up with Timothy Bradley in Montreal on April 4th.

WBO jr. welterweight titlist Kendall “R-Rated” Holt is never short for words and as he prepares for his April 4th unification fight against WBC belt-holder Timothy “Desert Storm” Bradley, he isn’t lacking for anecdotes and metaphors.

“Everything’s goin’ real good,” says Holt, a Paterson, New Jersey resident. “I’m gonna’ rain all over the desert. I’m happy this fight is happenin’ and unification is another dream I’m tryin’ to accomplish. Let me tell ya’ - I can’t wait to have that WBC belt wrapped around my waist.”

The 27 year-old Holt, who typically makes for fights that are explosive, interesting and or controversial is eager to lay it all on the line against Bradley in a fight that will take place inside the cavernous Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec.

“Tim Bradley will be a real good fight and he’s a real good fighter,” says the fast talking Holt. “He’s gonna’ come at me, he’s gonna’ want to put on the pressure, he’s gonna’ wanna’ come inside. He’s just gonna’ make it a real good fight.”

Holt has been a professional since 2001, has a record of 25-2 (13KO) and is coming off a December split-decision win over Bernard Hopkins’ nephew Demetrius. Holt is of the opinion that once the bell rings, any strategy that he and Bradley have formulated could go straight out the window.


Holt is a man that fought hard to win the WBO title belt and he is enjoying the trappings of fame the title has brought his way.

“When it’s time to fight it really don’t matter about strategy,” Holt said. “Once you get in there and you lettin’ those fists fly and the leather fly, it really doesn’t matter. I expect, no matter how many rounds it go, I expect it to be a tough fight ‘til the end.”

Asked about Bradley, Holt said the press conference that was held in Montreal last month helped shed some light on his opponent’s way of thinking.

“I think Timothy Bradley got a couple things confused in there,” said a somewhat bemused Holt. “He said I have no heart and I hope he doesn’t come into the fight believing that, because if he does believe that, he’s already beaten his self.”

Even though Holt has been a pro for a few years longer than Bradley, has faced a better grade of competition and is arguably a more explosive puncher he is currently the slight betting underdog. But whatever the case, Holt says training is going well and that he’s simply going to do what he does best in the fight that will be the main event of a Showtime Championship Boxing telecast.

“I come to knock everybody out and I expect to knock everybody out," proclaims a confident Holt. “I’ve got a lot of speed, I’ve got a lot of power and I don’t back down, I lay backs down.”


March 2009

No comments: