Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Macccarinelli Eager to Reclaim WBO Title


Enzo Maccarinelli is hoping that 2009 will be a better year for him and he's looking to regain his title and rule the Cruiserweight division.

He's been training since Christmas Day and he sounds like a fighter that has the 'Eye of the Tiger' back.

"I want all them belts and I've still got a lot of anger in me," proclaimed a no-nonsense Enzo Maccarinelli on a recent winter's day.

The former WBO Cruiserweight titlist will get his chance to at least get his old belt back when he faces Victor Ramirez on March 14th. The fight will be on the undercard of the Marco Antonio Barrera vs. Amir Khan match at the Manchester Evening News Arena and it will be fought for the vacant WBO 200-pound title.

Maccarinelli, 28, with a record of 29-2 (22)KO, is still attempting to rebound from last June's devastating blowout loss to David Haye. Maccarinelli took the first step back in that journey with a second round stoppage win over Mathew Ellis last month. The next step in his plan for Cruiserweight domination will come against Argentina's Ramirez.

"I lost to David Haye and I don't make any excuses about that," explained Enzo. "To be honest with you, I think I probably took my position and the fight against Haye a little bit for granted. Since that loss I've made a few changes with my training, with my diet. I'm just trying to do everything right this time."


Maccarinelli has a solid team behind him. He is trained by Enzo Calzaghe (left) and is promoted by Frank Warren.

Maccarinelli, who is trained by Enzo Calzaghe, says that he is attempting to become a bigger and stronger fighter and that he is incorporating some new strength and conditioning exercises into his routine in order to help him do that. Maccarinelli typically weighs in well below the 200-pound limit and his plan in the future is to come in heavier with a stronger and more solid body.

"I haven't always been the biggest Cruiserweight," he says. "I want to develop some extra punching power and I've been using weights to help me. I'm using weights in a way so that they don't slow me down or bulk me up too much. I've used weights in the past but they slowed me down a bit, but this time we're doing something a little different so I'm trying it out."

As for a prediction against the big punching Ramirez, Maccarinelli had only this to say:

"It should be a good one. He likes to come at you and he likes to swing punches. I like to swing punches, too - so it should be a really good scrap. After the year I had last year, I just want to put things behind me and get on with it.


January 2009

No comments: