Thursday, January 1, 2009

James Toney: "They Cryin' Over Spilt Milk"


James "Lights Out" Toney has been fighting for two decades and is never short on controversey - or words.

The judges awarded James Toney a 12-round split decision win over Fres Oquendo last month in California - but many people think Oquendo got robbed by a 40 year-old stick-up man in boxing trunks.

So as 2009 begins, James "Light Out" Toney gives his thoughts on what transpired and what the New Year will bring for him.

"First off, that fight wasn't close at all," says Toney of the Oquendo fight. "I was pressing him the whole time. Look at my face after that fight, I was not hit. One of the judges saw it different and the decision and the fight is what it is, but the bottom line is, I got the win."

Toney, who turned pro back in 1988, raised his record to 71-6-3 (43)KO's with the victory and he also acquired the lowly regarded IBA and WBO-NABO Heavyweight titles. Toney will likely move into the top-10 of the WBO when the next rankings are released by that organization later this month and his goal is to get WBO heavyweight titlist Wladimir Klitschko into the ring with him before the end of the year.

Toney dismisses the critics who say they think he lost the fight against Oquendo.

"Look, I ain't the judges," said Toney. "I did what I had to do, it is what it is. They cryin' over spilt milk. I put the pressure on him and I was the one comin' forward. They called me the winner, so what am I supposed to do? I won the fight."

Entering his 21st year as a pro, Toney is definitely showing signs of slowing down and he is no longer the same fighter that he once was.

His one-time trainer, Freddie Roach, no longer works with him because he feels that Toney should hang up the gloves and retire. But Toney also dismisses that claim.

"I'm 40 years young," he answers. "I don't get hit much so I don't have the wear and tear a lot of these guys do. If you ask me I say I'm the past, present and future of the heavyweight division and there's really nobody out there that can beat me. Ain't nothing none of these guys can do to me."

The fight that Toney claims he wants the most is with Wladmir Klitschko but he'd take Vitali on if that fight could be made. Over the past few years, Toney has repeatedly called for a fight with either of the current heavyweight title-holding brothers.

"Yeah, you tell them Klitschko sisters - I'm comin' for 'em."


January 2009

No comments: