Thursday, January 8, 2009

Alfredo Angulo Lets His Fists Do the Talking


Upstart contender Alfredo Angulo is ready to make a statement in the world of boxing.

He's one of boxing's most promising young stars and he's the strong silent type.

Alfredo Angulo is preparing to fight tough-talking Nicaraguan Ricardo Mayorga on Feb. 14th at a site to be determined and unlike Mayorga - Angulo says he'll let his fists do the talking.

"My job is not promoting and talking - it's fighting," says the straight-talking, ruggedly built and hard punching native of Mexicali, Mexico. "I'll fight anybody that my promoter Gary Shaw puts in front of me. I don't normally speak about other fighters because I don't have to, I do my talking in the ring."

Angulo is only 26 years-old and with an undefeated record of 14-0 (11)KO's he's looking forward to having a breakout year in 2009. Angulo is on a stretch where he has scored 10 straight stoppages and no fighter has been able to last the distance with him in the past three years.

Managed by Mike Criscio, who also manages IBF 175-pound titlist Chad Dawson, Angulo seems to be on the fast track in his career so far. He is rated highly by all four alphabet organizations and actually occupies the #1 slot in the WBC and the #2 position in the WBO at 154-pounds.

Angulo is a dangerous fighter in the ring and he is all business when he steps between the ropes. As a result he has had somewhat of a difficult time finding other contenders that are willing to step into the squared circle with him.


In his most recent fight this past October, Angulo laid a fleecing on Andrey Tsurkan and stopped him in the 10th round.

"I know that we have made offers to several fighters," says Angulo, whose mastery of the English language continues to improve. "Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. and Sergio Mora are a couple of names that I know, but neither of them accepted a fight with me. People can say what they want about Ricardo Mayorga, but I've got to say that he is one of the only ones that would take the fight with me."

Angulo is a serious fighter and has literally fought his way out of poverty. It hasn't been an easy journey and he nearly quit boxing altogether before his career got turned around with the help of Criscio and Shaw. Many see him as an inexperienced novice with only 14 pro fights and less than 50 rounds boxed as a pro, but Angulo sees things differently.

"The fighters that I have fought so far have been good fighters," he says. "I am and I will be ready for Mayorga even though it seems to some that I don't have a lot of experience. The other thing is that I know Mayorga is going to try and bother me by talking about me and my family but I'm not going to let him get to me. Like I said before, it's all fine, Mayorga can do all the talking he wants, but we'll see what he has to say after Valentine's Day."


January 2009

No comments: